Friday, August 2, 2013

Micro


So I have been slightly absent from this blog.  Mostly, I have been busy and dealing with some stuff.  But I am going to try (TRY being the operative word) to be back.  I have a ton of things to write about and will try to do a better job.  Let’s see how this goes….
So since I wrote my 30 before 30, I have read four books and finally finished listening to one of them.  And part of my tracking my 10-15 books, I am going to be reviewing the books I have read.  Plus, if Miss Karen Carter is reading this, maybe I can help her decide whether to read a book I have read (or not!).




Book Title: Micro
Author: Michael Crichton and Richards Preseton
I listened to this book while I drove to Washington.  I got through about half of it through my drive and have listened to the other half as time permit (and as I remember).  The book was LONG. 

This is the last book Michael Crichton wrote before he passed.  As I said it was long and I could tell where the influence of the other author played in.  This book easily could have been two separate stories or without as many characters.

The story follows a group of extremely smart scientists (most who study something nature related, i.e. bugs or greenery).  The group travels from their lab to Hawaii to look to work for a company that specializes in microscopic robots.  However, there is a crooked person leading the whole endeavor.  There is murder and lying.  The group gets shrunken down and stuck in the “Micro world.”  To describe it much more would give away a lot of the story so I shall mostly just give me little two cents.

As I now am saying a third time, this book is long.  I think part of why I broke up my listening is because part way through something happens to who I had believed was the main character and that changed the entire story line.  The general idea of a micro world is interesting and clearly the science is taken into account (the humans who are microscopic can lift like an ant and gravity doesn’t have the same effect.  However, from the beginning, it is very clear who the bad guy is and who truly to blame for the disaster.  Therefore, at points, reading the story can feel tedious. 

I enjoyed the book but not to the extend I normally enjoy Michael Crichton’s novels. 

1 comment:

  1. Karen Carter is of course reading this and everything you write!! Keep em coming and know you have a fan in me . Then get your sister Kendall to start hers again too :)
    I love you Abby !!

    ReplyDelete